Anxiety stands as the most prevalent mental illness in the US. This illness is notably prone between ages 16-29, with the rate decreasing as the age bracket increases. However, the growing emphasis on mental health awareness has paved the way for online therapy for anxiety. Online therapy platforms for anxiety now offer a beacon of hope, providing affordable and effective support.
This article provides a comprehensive guide to the 10 best online therapy services, helping you make an informed decision towards mental well-being.
Cerebral was founded to provide accessible and affordable mental health solutions to people. This platform is one of the best for anxiety counseling online. They ensure top-notch treatment by subjecting their medical prescribers and therapists to rigorous monthly training sessions.
- Cerebral services allow you to video call or voice call your therapist once a week, or message them at any given time of the day.
- They provide different affordable plans for customers taking their therapy-only, medication-only, or therapy and medication bundles together plans.
- Cerebral allows you to choose any available therapist you want, enabling you to schedule a session at your earliest convenience.
- You can access one-on-one therapy sessions with your desired therapist once a week or five times a month.
- Cerebral also allows you to send chat messages to your therapist in between sessions.
Cerebral provides two different plans:
- Therapy-only: Priced at $74 per week billed as $295 per month. Includes a 45-minute video or phone call session with your desired therapist with a treatment plan.
- Therapy + Medication: Priced at $92 per week billed as $365 per month. Includes a 45-minute video or phone call session with your therapist and a monthly medication-related check-in with the prescriber. Also includes treatment plans from both clinicians.
Cerebral does not currently accommodate insurance coverage.
|You can reach out to your therapist at any given time.
|Therapy with medication management is costly.
|Provides medication management independently.
|Does not offer insurance.
|Services are only available to years 18 and older.
|Eligible for FSA and HSA accounts.
|Does not prescribe controlled medicines.
2. Better Help
To eliminate traditional barriers to therapy, Better Help was established in 2013. With over 30,000 therapists on its platform, they have successfully helped many overcome different mental challenges such as anxiety through online counseling.
- Better Help offers a simple process to switch between therapists, whether it is at the start of your therapy session or in between sessions.
- Offers flexible therapy service, allowing customers to message their counselors whenever needed.
- Offers multiple types of sessions such as family therapy, couples therapy, and person-centered therapy.
- Better Help offers a special type of live, interactive seminar known as groupinars twenty times a week. If, in case, someone misses them, they can also access their recordings.
- The platform also includes a private journal that’s for you to write, read, and reflect upon unless you choose to share it.
The monthly subscription plans for Better Help are priced between $65 and $95 per week, depending on the type of counselor you choose and your location.
BetterHelp also does not currently accommodate insurance coverage.
|Offers multiple services such as couples therapy, family therapy, and teen therapy.
|Does not offer insurance.
|Offers multiple ways to access care such as through phone and video calls, live chat, and texts.
|Does not let you pick your counselor initially.
|Allows you to message your therapist at any time.
|Provides therapy for only adults. For teen therapy, it transfers you to its sister site.
|Provides access to highly qualified and experienced therapists.
Talkspace delivers a comprehensive range of anxiety counseling online, tailored to meet the needs of individuals, couples, and teenagers alike. Through specialized programs designed for various modes of online therapy, including video calls and chat sessions, Talkspace offers a versatile approach to addressing anxiety.
- Talkspace includes an online tool to track symptoms to help monitor clinical symptoms.
- The platform offers a variety of approaches to combat anxiety such as cognitive behavioral therapy, humanistic therapy, and emotion-based therapy.
Talkspace offers online treatment of anxiety through:
- Text, audio, and video messages to which the therapist responds five days a week.
- Live weekly video sessions with daily messages to which the therapist responds five days a week.
Talkspace subscription plans for individuals:
- Includes one or four 30-minute live sessions per week with text, audio, and video messages. It is priced at $396 and $436 per month respectively.
- Includes text, audio, and video messages. It is priced at $276 per month.
Talkspace accepts insurance from:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
|Accepts insurance from multiple providers.
|Does not allow you to select your therapist.
|Individual, teen, and couple counseling is offered.
|Online therapy including video and messaging is expensive.
|Can message the counsellors an unlimited number of times.
|Therapy sessions comprise only 30 minutes.
|Offers a discount on the first month and also occasionally provides discount coupons.
|Slow customer service.
|Special corporate plans for companies and universities.
|Does not allow phone calls.
4. Dr on Demand
Dr on Demand has addressed global health issues by providing access to certified doctors and online treatment for anxiety, ensuring patients receive timely healthcare wherever they are. With a commitment to compassionate care and innovative approaches, they have made a positive impact on the lives of many seeking prompt and effective online therapy for anxiety and other health services.
- Provides same-day appointments.
- Has numerous certified professionals on board allowing you to access top-notch care at all times.
- Provides psychiatric consultation only through video chats.
- The cost for an initial 45-minute session is $299
- A follow-up 15-minute session costs $129.
- Dr on Demand accepts multiple insurance plans. While they haven’t listed their accepted insurance providers on their website, you can verify whether your insurance plan is accepted by heading to the ‘Insurance’ or ‘Employer’ tab after registering.
|Allows you to pick your therapist.
|Accepts insurance plans.
|It only offers video chats.
|Allows you to schedule appointments on any day.
|Provides mental health support to children, with parental consent.
|You can only have a few therapists to choose from, depending on your location.
5. Bright Side
Brightside was founded to provide quality care to individuals suffering from mental health issues, especially depression and anxiety. They rely heavily on using cognitive behavioural therapy to treat their patients as it has proved to be highly effective on people suffering from anxiety.
- There’s a wide range of certified mental health professionals available 7 days a week.
- Provides 10 video-long self-guided lectures to help you incorporate skill-building exercises in your daily life to overcome anxiety and stress.
- Live video calls with your therapist on any day.
- Enables you to message your therapist at any time in between sessions.
Bright Side offers three subscription plans:
- Therapy only: Priced at $299 per month which includes four video sessions and unlimited messaging with your therapist.
- Psychiatry only: Priced at $95 per month, including thorough assessment by a psychiatric provider with constant support.
- Psychiatry + Therapy: Priced at $349 per month which includes the benefits of the psychiatry plan plus one weekly session with your therapist with unlimited messaging.
They also provide additional sessions with a therapist, if needed, which costs $59 per session.
Bright Side accepts multiple insurance plans from:
- Anthem CA
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Montana
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
|Quick appointment bookings.
|Does not let you choose your therapist.
|Caters to individuals above 18 years only.
|Provides plans with therapy, medication, and self-care tools.
|Available throughout the US.
- Allows you to pay for each session rather than paying a monthly subscription fee.
- The platform allows you to choose your therapist.
- The platform offers mental health help for ages 10-18 as well.
- 45-minute sessions via live video call through Amwell’s platform.
- Voice calls are only available in the case of technical difficulty with the platform.
- Amwell charges between $109 and $129 per session for therapy, whereas for psychiatry, it charges $109- to $279 per session.
- The charges for therapy depend upon the type of provider you choose. For a master’s level therapist, it’s $109 and for a doctorate-level psychologist, it’s $129.
- For a session canceled less than 24 hours prior, a $40 cancellation fee will apply.
Amwell accepts multiple insurance plans from:
- Beacon Health
- Emblem Health
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
|Offer a wide array of professional therapists and providers to choose from.
|Does not offer therapy via text messages.
|You can choose the provider of your choice.
|Relatively costly compared to platforms on this ranking.
|No monthly subscription fee or signup fee.
|Does not offer discounts.
|Services are available to 10 years and older.
|Amwell’s providers will not prescribe any controlled or stimulated medications.
|Accepts insurance plans from multiple companies.
7. Open Path
Open Path is a non-profit organization that provides mental health therapy to individuals who cannot afford expensive treatments. Their cost per session is relatively lower than the market rates.
- Open Path aims to serve people who do not are uninsured, or cannot afford mental health therapy.
- As an Open Path Collective member, you can enjoy access to a variety of perks and discounts on additional services, including EHR platforms, ongoing education resources, and various therapist directories.
- Offers therapy sessions via live video calls that are approximately one hour long.
- Also offers in-person therapy.
- After completing an inspection program, if you meet the requirements of being uninsured and unable to afford therapy, you will be subjected to make a one-time payment of $65.
- For every session, a rate will be fixed by your therapist according to the sliding salary scale. For individuals, it is $40-$70 per session, and for couples and families, it is between $40 to $80 per session.
- They also offer special rates for students which is $30 per session.
Open Path is a non-profit organization that caters only to uninsured people. Hence, they do not accept any kind of insurance.
|Provides therapy and mental help to people who cannot afford it.
|Not all therapists will accept your query.
|An extensive network of therapists is available to choose from.
|The ‘accepting new clients’ status of providers was not frequently updated.
|A wide array of search filters is available.
|Does not offer psychiatric help.
|Offers both in-person and virtual services.
E-Therapy Cafe is an online counseling platform with a mission to provide easy, affordable, convenient, and secure therapy to its clients anywhere. They aim to be a one-stop solution for their clients.
- E-therapy has an extensive range of certified therapists to choose from.
- The platform special discounts to military, college students, veterans, first responders, and more
E-therapy Cafe offers therapy via:
- Live video sessions that are 30 minutes long but can be combined into a 60-minute session if needed
- Audio calls
- Live chats
E-Therapy cafe allows you to pay session fees as you take them or buy a four or eight-session monthly subscription plan. The prices are as follows:
- A 30-minute trial session costs $50.
- A 30-minute session costs $55, and you pay as you take them.
- A monthly subscription of four sessions costs $196.
- A monthly subscription of eight sessions costs $360.
It is important to note that all sessions, whether monthly or purchased individually, expire after 30 days of payment.
Does not accommodate insurance coverage.
|Comparatively affordable sessions.
|Offers special discounts.
|Insurance is not accepted.
|Offers multiple methods of communication for therapy.
|Switching therapists is a lengthy process.
|Allows you to choose your therapist.
|Sessions expire after 30 days of purchase.
Teen Counseling is owned by Better Help. This platform is specially designed to provide therapy to teenagers and their guardians. It is a discreet platform dedicated to helping the teenager, ensuring that the parent has no access to the information shared between the counselor and the teenager.
- Guardians can use the site to enhance their relationship with their teenagers.
- Every therapist on the platform is a licensed mental health professional, unlike other platforms that also feature student interns and unlicensed therapists.
- Separate sessions are given to the teenager and their parents.
Teen Counseling offers therapy via 3 different modes of communication:
- Video calls
- Audio calls
They only offer one subscription plan with four therapy sessions and unlimited chat messaging with the counsellor.
Prices to be between $65 to $90 per week, billed every four weeks.
Does not accommodate insurance coverage.
|All therapists are familiar with teenager-related mental health problems.
|Clients cannot choose their therapists. However, they can switch, if required.
|Therapy is confidential.
|No insurance plans are accepted.
|Allows clients to massage therapists at any given time.
|Therapists do not prescribe medications.
|Detailed bios of each therapist are available on their website.
|Customer service was found to be unresponsive.
Sesame is an online platform providing online counseling for anxiety as well as other mental illnesses. Clients can book and pay for their sessions with absolute transparency directly through the provider.
- Sesame membership fee is minimal.
- You can book your session directly through your desired provider.
- Offers live video calls for therapy.
- Audio calls are only available if the client does not have access to video.
- Also offers In-person therapy.
- The cost for a therapy session is $45.
- If you purchase a membership plan of $10.99 monthly, the per-session charges can drop to $20- $30.
- The cost can increase (sometimes over $100) depending on the therapist you choose and their location.
Does not accommodate insurance coverage.
|Offer discounts with membership fees.
|Prices varied by location.
|Clients can pay a flat fee with no hidden costs.
|No insurance accepted.
|Same-day appointments are also catered.
|In certain locations, the selection of therapists is limited.
|Customer service was found to be responsive and helpful.
How Do You Know You Need Therapy for Anxiety?
Recognizing the need for therapy often comes from persistent symptoms like excessive worry, trouble sleeping, irrational fears, or physical symptoms like restlessness, fatigue, and muscle tension. If anxiety interferes with daily life, relationships, or work, it may be time to seek professional help.
Who Should Use Online Therapy for Anxiety?
Virtual therapy is ideal for individuals who prefer the convenience and privacy of receiving support from home, have busy schedules, or live in areas with limited access to mental health services. It’s particularly suitable for those comfortable with digital communication and seeking flexible therapy options.
What to Consider Before Purchasing a Subscription for Online Therapy for Anxiety?
Evaluate the therapist’s qualifications and experience in treating anxiety. Consider the cost and whether it fits your budget, including insurance coverage. Assess the platform’s privacy and security measures. Reflect on whether the therapy format (text, audio, or video) suits your communication style and needs.
What Are Some Common Strategies for Managing Anxiety?
Some common strategies for managing anxiety include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): Helps identify and challenge negative thought patterns and behaviors.
- Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Such as deep breathing, meditation, and progressive muscle relaxation to reduce stress and anxiety symptoms.
- Lifestyle Changes: Regular exercise, healthy eating, and adequate sleep can significantly impact anxiety levels.
- Support Networks: Engaging with supportive friends, family, or support groups can provide emotional relief and practical advice.