BetterHelp is one of the most popular online therapy platforms. It offers convenient and affordable access to licensed therapists for individual counseling. However, many people wonder does BetterHelp offer couples therapy. When the demand for BetterHelp couples counseling increased, BetterHelp founded Regain in 2016.
Regain is similar to BetterHelp in many ways, but there are slight differences between BetterHelp and Regain. Continue reading if you want to know how does BetterHelp do couples counseling.
But before that, let’s discuss whether online counseling and therapy sessions are ideal for couples.
Table of Contents
Evidence That Online Couples Counseling Works
Research has provided foolproof evidence that online therapy is effective, especially video-based sessions. While research on online couples counseling is yet to showcase infallible and error-free positive results, initial studies demonstrate promising results:
- A study with 300 couples found significant improvements in relationship satisfaction, confidence, mental health symptoms, and overall functioning after online therapy through the OurRelationship program compared to couples on a waitlist.
- Multiple studies show in-person couples counseling effectively reduces relationship distress and dissatisfaction for approximately 70% of couples who participate.
- Research confirms the efficacy of individual online counseling for issues like depression, anxiety, stress, and more.
So, while more research is still needed, current evidence and research suggest that online couple therapy can create a transformative impact.
When it comes to couples counseling BetterHelp has launched a groundbreaking service where it combines the power of virtual sessions by expert therapists to create a safe space for couples where they can share their problems and sort out their issues.
Let’s find out the couples counseling procedures at BetterHelp and their impact.
How does BetterHelp offer Couples Counseling?
BetterHelp itself does not offer couples counseling. Instead, its parent company created a separate platform called Regain that specializes in online couples therapy.
When you select that you’re interested in couples counseling on the BetterHelp homepage, you get redirected to Regain. Regain uses the same technology and billing structure as BetterHelp. The main difference is that Regain exclusively hires therapists trained in couples counseling.
On Regain, you and your partner can sign up for joint online therapy sessions with a qualified therapist. Here’s an overview of how online couples therapy works on Regain:
- Individual or joint sessions – You can start with individual therapy sessions and invite your partner to join later. Or, you can jump right into joint sessions.
- Live video, phone, or chat – Couples sessions on Regain can be 30-45 minute live video, phone, or chat sessions. It’s true that couples often seek in-person counseling sessions to better address their issues. But these live video sessions are the closest experience similar to in-person counseling. Additionally, they are intimate and your privacy is maintained.
- Messaging – Via Regain subscriptions you can message your therapist anytime. You and your partner share access to the same “therapy room” for messaging.
- Different locations – A unique perk of Regain is that it accommodates the requirement of long-distance couples. Both partners can log into video sessions from different places, even different states.
- Switch therapists – If your therapist is not a good fit, you can change the therapist through the Regain platform.
Benefits of BetterHelp Couples Counseling
We all know that Regain is the specific department of BetterHelp that offers virtual couples counseling and online therapy. If you, too, are struggling with your conjugal life, you can try out the virtual couples counseling offered by BetterHelp. It offers the following advantages.
- Convenience – Scheduling joint in-person counseling sessions can be challenging. The flexibility of online therapy eliminates commute time and geographic restrictions.
- Affordability – Online couples counseling tends to cost much less than in-person therapy. Regain ranges from $60-$90 per week.
- Specialized support – Regain provides access to trained relationship therapists you may not find locally, especially in rural areas.
- Preliminary option – Online therapy can be a helpful first step for couples reluctant about in-person counseling. It helps overcome fear.
What to Expect in Couples Therapy BetterHelp Sessions
In your first BetterHelp couples counseling session, the therapist will ask your perspective on your relationship issues. Common concerns that come up include:
- Communication problems
- Intimacy struggles
- Conflicts about money, responsibilities, or goals
- Parenting disagreements
- Infidelity recovery
- Lack of affection or emotional connection
The therapist will assess your concerns and work collaboratively with you to establish goals for therapy. Here are some standard techniques used during online couples counseling:
- Improving communication – You will learn and practice new communication strategies like active listening, identifying triggers, managing conflict, and expressing needs.
- Increasing intimacy – The therapist may provide techniques for emotional and physical intimacy, like sharing appreciation, quality time, touch, gift-giving, and maintaining passion.
- Managing external stress – You will discuss sources of external stress like finances, careers, and family issues and how to prevent them from harming your relationship.
- Healing from betrayal – If infidelity or broken trust is an issue, the therapist will guide you through safely processing, expressing, and forgiving hurts.
- Enhancing bonding – You may do bonding exercises focused on friendship, sensuality, affection, shared experiences, support, and understanding.
Tips for Getting the Most Out of BetterHelp Couples Therapy
This guide will give you tips on how to maximize the effectiveness of online couple counseling. By following these instructions, you can get the most out of BetterHelp couples therapy.
- Commit fully – You should be willing to engage in the process, look at your issues, and make changes. The more effort you put in, the more you will get out of it.
- Attend consistently – Prioritize keeping your weekly sessions. Consistency is vital for making progress over time.
- Be patient – Remember that growth happens gradually. Keep going even if you don’t see instant results after just a few sessions.
- Maintain gains – Schedule periodic check-in sessions after completing therapy. It will prevent you from backsliding on progress made.
BetterHelp itself does not offer couples counseling. Its related site, Regain, provides couples therapy with licensed marriage and family therapists. The convenience, affordability, specialized support, and privacy make it an accessible option for many couples seeking to improve their relationship.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you do premarital counseling online through BetterHelp?
Yes, Regain therapists can provide premarital counseling through BetterHelp. It helps in premarital assessments, dealing with expectations, and building foundational skills.
Can each partner have an individual BetterHelp therapist, plus do couples counseling?
Absolutely. You and your partner can have your own individual BetterHelp therapist. And both of you can attend joint sessions on Regain for a multi-faceted approach.
What if only one partner wants to do couples counseling?
If one partner refuses couples counseling, the other can attend individual therapy on BetterHelp. This is as counseling is most effective when both partners fully participate.