With the recent lockdown having made online therapy the trend these days, more and more individuals resort to online counseling for their mental health concerns. Of these, one budding platform that we know of is BetterHelp.
Table of Contents
But can you get prescriptions from BetterHelp?
No. Although BetterHelp doesn’t prescribe you medications, the therapists are adept at helping you with your mental health problems. This is what this article will be about, answering this in detail.
Can You Get Prescriptions From BetterHelp?
The truth is that a counselor or psychologist wouldn’t be authorized to prescribe any medicines for the following reasons:
- He does not have the license to prescribe and is not eligible to provide medication.
- He is trained to help you cope with the challenges you face in your current situation.
In other words, BetterHelp counselors help people with their emotional and behavioral problems. This is all that you can expect when it comes to BetterHelp prescriptions or what BetterHelp can do for you.
Is Counseling Better Than Medication?
The answer mainly depends on the situation and what one is going through. We live in a fast-paced world of many challenges and stressful situations. It often leaves one drained and in need of someone to vent out to. What BetterHelp can give you is:
- Advice to cope with daily stress
- 24/7 online assistance
- A listening ear when you want to vent
These are some facilities that one wouldn’t get as much from a psychiatrist authorized to provide medication.
However, one can’t make BetterHelp prescribe meds for someone going through serious problems like delusions or hallucinations. These are problems that need a trained physician who knows just the right pills for you.
Schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, and obsessive-compulsive disorder are just a few other issues where a person can be cured only by medication.
Can BetterHelp Prescribe Meds For Me?
In other words, you are asking, “Can I get antidepressants without going to the doctor?” This is a bad idea. Remember that one takes antidepressants only on the advice of a healthcare professional for the following reasons:
- Only a professional knows what you need based on the issue you are going through. This can be a physician, psychiatrist, or even nurse practitioner.
- They are trained to arrive at a diagnosis after careful supervision.
- What worked for your colleague or neighbor need not work for you.
Know that, in the end, only a trained professional knows what is best for you.
Do I Need BetterHelp Prescriptions Or Therapy?
This may be hard to decide, but you must not worry. To begin with, the following are some things you need to know if you suffer from depression.
- It is more of a medical illness that can be treated
- Depression causes an imbalance of some chemicals in the brain
- If prolonged, depression can control one’s emotions and moods
So, does BetterHelp prescribe medication? No, it doesn’t, but the counselors here will help you, referring you to a psychiatrist if needed.
While you cannot make BetterHelp prescribe medication, their counselors and therapists are experienced enough to understand what you are going through to guide you.
So, don’t be shy about taking treatment if this is what BetterHelp advised you to do. Go ahead and see a physician who knows better how to help you.
Can Therapy Replace Antidepressants?
The truth is that many researchers have concluded that therapy is more effective than medication. However, here are some reasons why you must not close your mind to medication.
- Sometimes, you need a psychiatrist or physician to help you recover from what you are going through. Some mental health issues can be solved only through medication.
- Antidepressants are generally safe as long as you take them per an expert physician’s advice.
- You still have BetterHelp to walk with you. In other words, BetterHelp therapy serves as a good complement to the job of a psychiatrist. This is why one would often find a psychiatrist working hand in hand with a counselor.
We hope you’re now feeling better. Before you go, here is a look at a couple of FAQs.
Will I be cured by medication or therapy?
Whatever treatment you are under, you must stick to it. Perseverance is the key, which also holds when it comes to your mental health.
Can I seek BetterHelp therapy even when I am on medication?
Yes, and medication is often more effective when accompanied by the right therapy. And BetteHelp has some of the most professional counselors. They are trained to understand what a patient under medication is going through. This way, you can receive additional help while on medication.
To conclude, we hope that we were able to help you with the lingering question – can BetterHelp prescribe meds? No, it can’t. But that doesn’t mean your mental health struggles would go unaddressed.
BetterHelp is equipped with a pool of qualified mental health professionals – therapists and counselors, who will help you stay on the path to recovery.
However, if they feel that your condition is untreatable without medication, they might refer you to other doctors who can prescribe you meds.